Yippee! I qualified 9 more model horses to go along with my 7 from two years ago, for the national championships. And...I've waited 9 years for nationals to be practically in my back yard so I could attend. It's going to be a memorable weekend with lots of model horse eye candy to behold!
P.S. I've decided to enter 14 of my 16 qualified models in the national championships.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
This is one of my collection setups with the theme "Dig Those Groovy Colors". I also enter models in individual classes for breed and collectibility. It's my first show in 2 years. Hopefully, I will qualify more models at this show for the 2009 North American Model Horse National Championships, being held in Portland, OR in late June.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
I saw this horsey questionnaire on a friend's blog, and thought I’d post my answers here. I won’t officially tag anyone, but it might be fun if readers passed it on by filling it out and posting it to your blogs with your own experiences, and encourage your readers to do the same. Hope you decide to play along! And if you do, leave a comment here letting me know. :)
(All horses/ponies mentioned were rentals, schoolers, or owned by friends. I have never owned or leased.)
1. How old were you when you first started riding? I was 2 when my dad sat me in the saddle on a large pony and walked beside me.
2. First horse ridden: Rode with an adult when I was 7 on "Shamrock" a mixed draft/QH, and by myself on "Dolly" (his dam) when I was 9.
3. First horse trotted on: Same answer as above.
4. First horse cantered on: "Honey" an older mixed TWH ex-police horse.
5. First Horse fallen off of: "Alfy" a roman-nosed part TB.
6. Most recent horse fallen off of: Same as above.
7. Most terrifying fall: Same as above. I did a somersault in mid air landing on my upper back.
8. First horse jumped with: "Shea" on a trail over a log.
9. First horse who ran away with you: "Alfy"
10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: "Alfy" because of my fall.
11. First horse shown: "Freckles" at horse camp.
12. First horse to win a class with: none
13. Do you/have you taken lessons: Yes, English.
14. First horse you ever rode bareback: Only Welsh ponies.
15. First horse trail ridden with: "Shamrock"
16. Current Barn name: none
17. Do you ride English or western?: Both, but mostly Western.
18. First Horse to place at a show with: "Freckles" 3rd in Western Equitation.
19. Ever been to horse camp?: Yes
20. Ever been to a riding clinic?: No
21. Ridden sidesaddle?: No
22. First horse leased: none
23. Last Horse Leased: none
24. Highest ribbon in a show: 3rd
25. Ever been to an 'A' rated show?: No
26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?: No
27. Ever fallen off at a show?: No
28. Do you ride Hunter/Jumpers?: No
29. Have you ever barrel raced?: No
30. Ever done pole bending?: No
31. Favorite gait: Walk (now), canter (when young)
32. Ever cantered bareback?: Yes, on Welsh ponies
33. Have you ever done dressage?: No
34. Have you ever evented?: No
35. Have you ever mucked a stall?: No
36. Ever been bucked off?: No
37. Ever been on a horse that reared?: No
38. Horses or ponies: Horses
39. Do you wear a helmet?: When the rental place requires it.
40. What's the highest you've jumped?: 2 feet
41. Have you ever ridden at night?: No
42. Do you watch horsey television shows?: When there are any.
43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall?: No
44. Most falls in one lesson: none
45. Do you ride in an arena/ring?: Did during lessons.
46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse?: No
47. Have you ever been bitten?: No
48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse?: Yep, but not hard.
49: Favorite riding moment: I have a lot, but two stand out. 1)Test riding a former champion Peruvian Paso, my first time on that breed and first time on a gaited horse! Was a dream fulfilled just after my 50th birthday. (see video on my sidebar). 2)Another favorite moment was riding a Paint on a short cattle drive in Colorado. (I was 13.) Very responsive horse. All I had to do was hold on as he headed off the steers.
50. Most fun horse you've ridden: The above Peruvian and also some of the rental horses and ponies over the years. One rental, a 22 year-old Morgan/QH mare, was a willing trail horse with a smooth, fast walk. A real joy to ride!